LISTEN UP, LADIES! We recently gave you our list of the top basic music festival essentials, but we are not basic, are we? Of course not. That’s why we’re giving you a list specifically crafted for you so when you’re crowdsurfing your way through the best fests this summer, you’ll be prepared for anything.
1. TAMPONS (or whatever you prefer): Yeah, I’m going straight here, but for good reason. Chances are, you’re going to be at that festival all day and night, and that means at least one trip to the porta potty. This is one place you do NOT want to be unprepared. Even if it’s not your time of the month, I can almost guarantee you that it’ll be someone else’s and she will be begging the line for help. Help a fellow music loving gal out, it’ll create a better experience for all of us. Tampax Pearl is the way to go. Oh, and Midol couldn’t hurt either.
2. LIP BALM. Long, hot, and dry days in the sun will have your lips shriveling up faster than you’d imagine. When you’ve run out of money for overpriced water, it’s best to keep those smoochers hydrated with some balm! When you finally squeeze your way into the front row, you’ll be all smiles when your favorite singer makes eye contact with you. Smith’s Rosebud Salve is a godsend!
3. FACE TOWELETTES. Festivals are dirty. Like, really dirty. It’s fun to embrace the grime, and you sort of need to in order to have any fun at all, but that doesn’t mean you need a mud mask. A pack of face towelettes will help refresh you and your skin. It’s best to go minimal with makeup anyway, so you shouldn’t have to worry about wiping off a layer of face. Simple Cleansing Facial Wipes are gentle, yet effective, and I highly recommend sticking some in your bag.
4. WATERPROOF MASCARA. I know, I just said to go minimal with makeup, but I didn’t say you had to go completely bare! If you’re comfortable with a blank canvas, more power to you, but I know most ladies need at least a little paint to feel comfortable. Waterproof mascara can be a pain for daily wear, but for festivals, it’s definitely an essential. We’re going to keep it drugstore price-friendly here with Maybelline’s Volum’Express Waterproof Mascara, which will keep the raccoon eyes away and give you a fierce gaze. Falsies is my fave!
5. A GOOD BRA (or bikini top): Festivals = lots of dancing, jumping, slipping, and sliding. You don’t want to be held back for fear of too much jiggle or a wardrobe malfunction! A sturdy bra is absolutely vital to a flaw-free festival experience. You may also choose to wear a bikini top (there is a decent chance you will get sprayed with a hose at some point), and in that case, make sure your ties are tight! Bra-wise, Playtex Secrets Perfect Flex Underwire Bra is a great choice. It’s comfortable without sacrificing shape or low-cut tops, and perfect for your next fest.
6. HAIR TIES: It might be seem obvious, but if extra hair ties aren’t on your checklist, you’ll be sorry later on. You may lose your morals in a big crowd, but you definitely do not want to lose your one and only hair tie. Keep an extra few in your bag or back pocket, your neck (or your friends) will thank you later. I swear by Scünci No Damage hair ties.
7. DRY SHAMPOO: This one’s especially important if you’re going to a festival like Bonnaroo (which ended yesterday, but next year you’ll be ready), where you may be camping out for a few days. If you’re not going to have access to a shower, dry shampoo will keep the bounce in your locks and the grease to a minimum. Suave Professionals Keratin Infusion Dry Shampoo not only works great, but it smells amazing too.
8. COMFORTABLE SHOES: Strappy sandals are cute, but they’re not going to be so cute with broken and bloody toes. Unless you’re planning on picnicking the whole time with your $9 nachos, you’re going to need a good pair of sneakers (or boots) to get by. You don’t have to wear clunky mom shoes; Vans Lo Pros are sleek and don’t even need any breaking in. They also come in, like, a bazillion different colors and styles.
9. CHANGE PURSE: You’re probably going to need something to carry all of the mini must-haves with you, and a change purse is the easiest way to go. You can fold up your bills and stick them right next to your tampons, hair ties, and whatever download cards you pick up throughout the day. Might as well go with Blue Q’s cat butts one (though there are plenty of other designs too, I GUESS).
10. DISPOSABLE CAMERA: You don’t want to have your expensive digital camera knocked out of your hand when a mosh pit suddenly opens up next to you and limbs start flying. It may be the 21st century, but disposable cameras are still out there and the underexposed pictures still look kind of awesome, especially when they’re taken at a music festival. Take photos of the bands, your friends, and whatever weird people/things you come across, and hang them in your room so the memories last forever. Awww. Fujifilm to the rescue!
There you have it, ladies. You’re good to go for festival season, so have the most fun for me, okay? And keep an eye out in the coming weeks for MORE festival essentials!